Since my upholstery bags have been such a big hit with everyone (okay, all 3 of the people I've made them for), I decided to enter one in the fair this year under the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Division. I sewed it together in a few hours (under quite a bit of pressure - I had a baby quilt to finish) and turned it in the Saturday before the fair.

The last time I entered something in the fair was when I was 8. My mom helped me sew a little cross-stitch turtle. I won first prize.

This time, I won third prize for my upholstery bag, and when I went to pick it up Sunday after the fair, I was told to go to the Summer Fair Offices and collect my "premiums." I chuckled to myself: "Premiums?"

Maybe the guy should have said, "Pittance." I was awarded $1.00 for my upholstery bag! Now I know why I keep seeing the same names over and over again in fair exhibits. In order to win big, you really do have to enter every division possible, from cow breeding to photography.

Next year, I'm going to enter some of my quilts in the fair. I'll bet I could win at least $2.00 for a third place quilt next year! I've already decided I'll be entering Father and Son Star Wars quilts and, if I can manage, I'd like to enter Arthur's wall-hanging I finished this summer. I'm considering hand-quilting it...I've never hand-quilted anything before in my life (besides simple tie quilts), so I'm probably being a bit too ambitious. And, if I manage to make anything really great between now and next summer, I'll probably enter that, too.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 11:04 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: