It's been about 5 months since my grandmother died. In some ways, it's been very, very hard. I miss calling her. There are times when I still think that I need to phone her, though much less frequently. There have been a few times when something I do or say triggers a memory and I tear up. It's getting much easier to deal with day-to-day events.

Robinson's mother passed away on Thursday. I've been a bit of a closet wreck because I'm at a loss of what I should do. Should I comfort Robinson? How? What do I say?

Then there's Arthur. He's still young enough that he doesn't really fully understand the concept of death, but he's old enough to know that something's going on. We've tried very hard to be as up front as possible when it comes to telling Arthur how the world works, but how do we explain that his Oldma is gone and that she won't be coming back?

Finally, I've been asked to give a remembrance speech at the funeral. Generally, I'm not very good at emotional events, funerals especially. I could barely say a word at my grandfather's funeral because I felt so guilty (although so much time had passed between the death and the funeral that I felt pretty confident about speaking at my grandmother's funeral). I feel like it's a huge responsibility...but maybe I'm just making more out of it than it really is.

Everything gets easier with time. Even accepting the loss of someone dear.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 9:16 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: