Come September 1st I get excited for Winter Solstice.

Kind of silly, I know, considering there's a perfectly good Wiccan holiday in between Autumn Equinox and Yule, but Winter Solstice is the one Wiccan holiday that I feel like I'm a good Wiccan. I actually do things that are Pagan-y and meaningful. I make special dinners and decorate the house. I carve a log which gets burned in a bonfire. I thank the Universe for the change in the seasons and the dramatic gain in sunlight we will begin to get. It's this time of year I feel my most devout.

Burning the Yule log was surprisingly pleasant this year. For the first time in our Yule celebrations, it was a balmy 15 degrees outside (notice that number was NOT preceded by a minus sign). We were able to enjoy the bonfire and watch the log burn. We poked at the fire and once we were finished, we went in to enjoy some rhubarb crumble.

Christmas was a quiet affair. No one visited, we didn't visit anyone. It was nice not having to rush through airline security. We opened presents, ate cinnamon rolls, and just spent time together. It was surprising to see the large number of gifts under the tree because we made it a point to have a frugal Christmas this year. Our families are so generous and we were very grateful for that.

2012 will represent many new beginnings for our family. I intend to start a sewing business. In fact, that was my Yule wish this year. I'm hoping to make some fun kid stuff for some of the holiday bazaars around town next year. I've been upcycling some upholstery scraps into baby doll carriers. I also plan on turning some old banners into diaper changing pads. I'm not sure if this will even be remotely successful, but I love to sew and if I can make a living out of it, why not?

Here's to 2012!

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 10:26 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: