Arthur went to camp last week. A whole three hours for a whole week. I was excited, but truth be told, I was also a little nervous. He has a tendency to be highly emotional and I was worried he would cry - no wail, scream - as I left. But he didn't. His friend Jade showed up as I was leaving and, in the words of Jade's mom, "they started making out." They were hugging and kissing each other for comfort because the both of them were nervous about being there.

By the end of the week, Arthur was a bit more comfortable being left at camp, but he still wasn't very social. It seemed as though he didn't really interact with the other kids or the counselors. It took us an hour each day to try and get him to tell us about all of the camp activities he did. He won the "Camp Listener" award at the after-camp party.

All in all, it seems like he had a pretty good time. He says he doesn't want to go back next year.

He told us on the last day that he cried because he didn't want to put on more bug dope (in his defense, he did wake up at 5:00am and pretty strung out by the time camp even started).

Sometimes I'm upset because he isn't more social. I worry about him getting bullied. I get sad when he doesn't play with his friends, but begs me to play with him. Then I remember that he's not me. He may have come from me and there is a part of me in him, but he's not me. He's not outgoing. He's not an extrovert. He's not me. He's his own person. He has his own special qualities. He's exceptionally bright. He's creative. He's a builder. He loves to cook. His mind is like a steel trap. His memory and recollection of facts is incredible. He's interested in science and math. The other day he did two pages of first grade math. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he becomes an engineer. I suspect he's gifted. But he's hypersensitive.

Apparently hypersensitivity is pretty normal for gifted kids. And it doesn't go away, they just become more skilled at coping with their emotions. Maybe someday he'll be able to calm himself down instead of throwing a screaming, crying fit. We're still working on it. I find myself at times frustrated by his uncontrollable emotions. I wonder if this is how my own parents felt with me and how Robinson's parents felt with him. The both of us were very bright kids and often displayed over-the-top dramatics. As with anything in life, we take the good with the bad.

Our experiences shape us and lead us to be the person we are. I may have a hard time with Arthur's emotions but I need to be there for him because who else is going to teach him how to act appropriately? He will never be able to reach his full potential unless I help him develop some coping strategies.

I'm not sure how to do it. But I need to try.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 10:15 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: