It's been about a week since I've been back from the Chilkoot. I was gone for 9 heavenly days. It's taken me that long to get adjusted to "normal life" again.

As soon as I am able (meaning whenever I have tons and tons of time on my hands), I will be posting details and pictures about our trip here. There's so much to say about it that I could never really do it justice in a single blog entry.

What I will say here is that I met so many wonderful and fascinating people on the trip. I learned so much about the history of the Chilkoot (it's an archaeologist's dream - there's so much stuff laying on the trail). I now know a few tips about hiking and backpacking. But most of all, (as cliche as it sounds) I now know a little bit about myself.

I know for a fact that time spent alone is an absolute luxury. It's marvelous to be able to sit by yourself, studying the world around you, and not having to take care of anyone but yourself. It's amazing. I've been home a week and I already miss it. Don't get me wrong; I love my family. There's just something so wonderfully simple about not having to put anyone's needs before your own. My first Chilkoot Resolution, therefore, is to make more time for myself.

My second Chilkoot Resolution is to get plenty of exercise and drink more water. My body and mind really responded to being outdoors and hiking for 4-hour stretches. I felt confident and capable. It was an awesome feeling.

My last Chilkoot Resolution is to take it one step at a time. I won't lie. While the Chilkoot was fun, there were times that were absolutely miserable. The last mile into Sheep Camp and making it over the Summit are two that spring to mind. There wasn't a chance to give up. We had to push through because the parks service staff were not going to let us camp next to the trail. These two events will be a constant reminder of being consistent: get comfortable, set your pace, then keep going. 

All of these resolutions seem rather silly - and they are. These are things that I should have been doing all along, but because I was caught up in living life, they weren't. I am now on a quest to make them happen. It's not going to be easy (but when is life ever easy?), but if I continue to stick with it, I'm confident that I'll be a little happier in the end.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 9:57 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: