Dear Arthur,

Being the older one, you make everything look so damn easy. I know, because I am the oldest of my sisters, too. I see much of myself in you.

I know your struggles, the challenges and frustrations of perfection, and the need to control everything. It's a challenge, but also a keen motivator. As such, I know you will do great things in your life. You will see and experience so much because of that constant need to push yourself.

You are a mentor to your brother and have taught him much more than I have or ever will. When people say that he seems so mature for his age, I tell them that his brother is a good teacher, because it is true.

For me, seven was a turning point. I craved more independence and more responsibility. I strove to learn as much as I could, reading voraciously. I copied pictures from photographs in nature books, penciling them with as much detail as I could.

And now, my dear boy, you read chapter books and are a devotee of Harry Potter. You draw step-by-step instructions for your Lego creations, carefully adding the pieces until they sort of resemble the spaceship or truck that you tried to emulate, in their own misshapen way. You create stop-motion animation movies with Legos, spending a great deal of time building elaborate sets and moving the mini-figures and vehicles just so, telling stories with pictures. You have particular tastes, still refusing all sports except for tennis, but are an adventurous eater, which I truly appreciate. You love Spanish and never tire of reminding me how awful my pronunciation is. You play piano with the same fun tenacity as you approach building a new Lego kit.

But mostly, I am so proud of your curious nature. It will be a great asset in a world full of people who do not question enough. Keep asking questions, Arthur. Ask the whys and the hows and then discover the answers. I will help you when I am able, but be prepared to also determine many things by yourself.      

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 8:25 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: