Last year, Arthur was Harry Potter for Halloween. I really wanted him to be Max from "Where the Wild Things Are," but Robinson convinced me that he'd make a much cuter Max when he could walk. So, this year Arthur will be Max, along with every other child in America (although the cynic in me doubts that even half of the kids dressed up as Max have read the book).

I had to improvise some parts of his costume since none of the pattern companies make Max costumes. Many, many years ago, I bought a baby costume pattern (Robinson thought I was crazy because at the time we didn't have a baby) which served me pretty well during this little sewing adventure. A friend's mom had made her grandson a Max costume a few years ago, and she was a good source of information on some of the little details.

Until Arthur really gets some joy out of dressing up for Halloween, I'm not going to go all out for his costumes, so I tried really hard to keep the cost low. I had almost all of the notions already and I purchased all of the materials I didn't have for under $20 (granted, with coupons).

Here's Arthur in his completed costume. I think it turned out great! Since we're going to be wandering around during the Pumpkin Prowl at the Woodland Zoo in Seattle later this month, I opted not to put feet on the costume. The feet will just sit over his shoes. Sometimes he steps on his claws, but, whatever. His costume already has some orange Cheeto smears on it, but nothing a quick wash won't take care of!

I love Halloween. I can easily say that it's my favorite holiday. I have fond memories of going trick or treating when I was a kid. It's also a great time to reflect on the people who have died over the last year, to remember them, and to wish them well in the afterlife.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 7:19 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: