For the last few weeks, I've been telling Arthur that we need to get bird food at the store so that we can feed the hungry, hungry birds. Whenever I go to the store, I always seem to forget. Today, Arthur and I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a birthday present for a friend of his, and as we entered the store, Arthur reminded me to get some bird food. We grabbed a bag, finished the rest of our shopping, and made our purchases.

The clerk was pretty chatty and asked us what kind of birds we fed. I told him, "Chickadees." He said that his dad has a bird feeder that's shaped like a house. I laughed and told him that Arthur had reminded me when I walked in.

The clerk asked, "Oh, is he shy? He's not saying much right now."

"I'm teaching him sign language. He's not fluent or anything."

"He's learning sign? That's cool! So he told you to get bird seed?"

"Yeah," then I asked Arthur, "what did we buy today?"

And Arthur surprised even me by making the signs for "bird" and then "food." The clerk was absolutely floored and couldn't stop making various exclamations. It was pretty cool.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 3:18 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: