Winter is finally here, with the first snow officially falling Wednesday and even more snow since then. The temperatures haven't been that cold during the day - warm enough to meet with our friends and take outdoor walks on some of the wooded trails around town - but it's getting darker and chillier at night.

Arthur is almost completely ready for winter. The only thing he's missing are some winter boots, which I hesitate to get until it really starts getting cold...but also because his shoe size is a 5 right now and will probably be a 6 by next week, at the rate this kid is growing. So, until it's the dead on winter, he probably won't have any boots to speak of. I did buy some snowpants a few weeks ago and I finally put them on him. He walked around the house (shick, shick, shick), and I think he and his dad are pretty excited to test them out once we get more snow.

Arthur has a love-hate relationship with his winter gear. All summer, it was so lovely that he was able to run around sans diaper most days, so I'm sure he finds these new turn of events not only restricting but down right confusing. I still leave him in only a diaper if we're not going anywhere - I don't really see the point in dirtying up a set of clothes while playing around the house. (Practicality is a mother's best friend.)

I find that I really love the beginning of winter. The fresh snow reminds me of all the childhood adventures my sisters and I had growing up and the smell of winter - Goddess, I can't even begin to adequately describe it. It remains powerfully embedded in my mind, though. I have fond memories of the empty lot across the street. I hope Arthur has just as many fun memories of being outside and playing as I do.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 2:49 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: