Arthur didn't have school on the 26th, so we invited his friends over for a Halloween Party. While some people are not wild about getting a party favor after a party, I love giving out party favors. I think it's a nice way to express gratitude for someone coming over and spending time with you. That being said, I don't always like receiving party favors because inevitably they are little made-in-China-pieces-of-crap that end up shattering when I accidentally step on them. So, when I do give favors, I try and give something small, useful, fun, and homemade.

Thus, the troll booger.

I found a recipe for "gak" online and made some for the party. Arthur helped me stuff the bags and print and stick on the labels. He seemed pretty excited about the "boogers."

As the party wound down, I told the kids that Arthur and I went under our house and collected some troll boogers for everyone. As his friend Jade was getting ready to leave, she asked what the green stuff was. Amanda told her it was a troll booger that we had collected from the trolls under our house. Jade could play with the booger, but could not eat it.

After all his friends left, Arthur asked why we had trolls living under our house.

I wasn't sure if he was honestly curious or if he was playing along with the game I began, so I told him the trolls liked our house because it was just the right size. Other houses on the block were too small or too big or had mean dogs, but not our house. So they wanted to live here.

Eventually I asked him if he'd like to make some bread for the trolls. He screamed, "YES!"

There is some method to my madness. It is customary to make bread for the dead around Halloween for the spirits. I wasn't sure if Arthur would understand that concept (what is a spirit anyway?), but I knew he would (sort of) understand if the trolls were given bread to eat. One day, when he's a little older and wiser, he'll be able to make the transition from trolls to spirits a little easier. I hope.

On the Menu: Troll Bread
Serves 4 Trolls
adapted from Chikousky Farms (recipe here)

Starter:
2 cups flour
2 cups kefir

Bread:
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbs. sugar
1 1/5 tbs. butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rye flour
extra butter for greasing pans
raisins for decorating

Mix together ingredients for the starter. Let sit for about 24 hours in a warm place.

When starter is ready, mix together the rest of the ingredients. Let sit for about an hour or two in a warm place to rise. Knead the dough into troll shapes and decorate with raisins. Put on a greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes (or until nicely browned on the outside).

Place on a plate and set outside for the trolls.   

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 3:13 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: