I've had to rely on public and alternative forms of transportation for a few weeks now. It's kind of fun and refreshing and brings out my inner hippie. I've lost a few more pounds and hope to make my pre-Balin weight by the end of the summer. The plethora of cheap vegetables have helped, too.

My only gripe is that Beloit is not very bike-friendly (neither was Fairbanks, so that isn't much of a change). There are few bike paths - with the exception of our hip and/or edgy downtown - and the sidewalks are really, really crummy, especially in our neighborhood. In some areas, the sidewalks actually disappear and reappear several blocks later. It's weird and unsettling. I can't really explain it except to say that the city planning committee in Beloit is probably made up of five-year-olds.

I bought a new bike trailer. The wheels come off and it folds up so that you can store it easier. It's pretty posh. The boys love it. We found a nearby park and I plan to take the boys there often. Every Friday the boys and I ride eight miles (round trip) to the grocery store and do our shopping. The trailer is invaluable.  

It's also difficult only having a bike though, because while I would love to volunteer, I don't have time except on evenings or weekends. I don't feel comfortable biking at night, so that leaves weekends. I miss having people depend on me. I miss having a purpose, so even though I'm settling in, I still feel a bit lost here.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 10:26 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: