I've been quilting for a while now. I've got a fabric stash and more scraps than I know what to do with. That's normal for quilters...but the trick is to make sure you've got the time to go through those scraps and actually make a few quilts.

I am finally putting together a quilt for myself. It's going to be lovely: pink, green, brown, and yellow.

As I'm going through my 3" fabric bin, I discover that I don't have a lot of yellow scraps.

Is it personal preference? (I'm naturally drawn to greens.)

Is it because I've made more quilts for boys? (Hm. More blues and greens.)

Is it because 60% of the American population's favorite color is blue? (More blue...)

So, what's a quilter to do?

I could buy more fabric, but good-quality fabric can be upwards of $15-$18 a yard. Even the fat quarters at some quilt shops are upwards of $3 each. (This may seem like a deal to all you non-quilters out there, but considering there are 4 fat quarters for every yard, you are still paying $12 a yard for that fabric.)

There are a few other quilters in my area, so I may attempt some kind of a swap. (Which, oddly enough, I've never done before...)

And, of course, there are fabric hunts at thrift stores. The issue with second-hand fabric is that you can't be sure of the quality.

I make very few orange, red, and purple quilts, too; mostly because I lack the fabric to make them.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and re-stock my stash, but $20 won't get me very far!

Honey, can I have $500 to buy some fabric?

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 4:14 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: