Ever since Robinson and I moved to Fairbanks, we've bought our Christmas trees at the Kiwanis Christmas Tree Sale. It's become another one of our (many) holiday traditions.

This year, we received a very special surprise when we went to get our tree: Santa and a reindeer named Cocoa!

Arthur was pretty scared of the reindeer at first. He didn't want to go near it and he didn't want to touch it, despite the urgings of one of the volunteers. The longer we stayed looking at trees, however, the more he warmed to Cocoa. He even let Santa hold him and held onto the reindeer's rope. Afterward, he touched Cocoa and said that she was soft like our kitty at home. He was so taken with her that when we got home and started setting up the tree, Cocoa was all he talked about.

We spent the rest of the evening decorating the tree and telling the stories behind past ornaments. Arthur even "helped" Robinson set up the tree stand and cut the Yule log off the tree. He was so careful with all of the ornaments, except for the little clay hand we made for his 2008 ornament. He kept dropping it and I was so afraid one of the fingers would break. Even though he doesn't sit through us talking about each and every ornament as we take them out of their wrappings, he does love helping us put them on the tree.

Robinson and Arthur are still behind on a few ornaments. I'm hoping that by the time the new year rolls in, we'll be all caught up and ready for next year. (We'll need the preparedness since there will be another little one to make an ornament for!) This year, I'm planning on making an ornament about my grandmother, but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't know if I'll just get a little picture frame or if I'll actually make something. Regardless, I want it to be special.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 8:30 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: