A few weeks ago when I asked Arthur what he'd like to take to preschool for a snack he said (without hesitation): "Granola bars! With chocolate chips!" (You can bet that the next time I parent volunteered I took a closer look at what his peers were eating.)

I found a couple simple recipes for granola bars and modified them to suit my own tastes. Since these bars contained chocolate chips, I immediately cut out some of the sugar and added some ground flax seeds. Arthur liked the chocolate chip granola bars, but I liked the dried fruit bars even better.

Which got me thinking...couldn't I just make granola using this recipe?

Yes. Yes, I could.

The preparation is a bit involved, but one batch of this granola generally lasts my family a week. It's just sweet enough and packed with healthy additives.

Granola
Makes approximately 12 servings
Adapted from Ina Garten's granola bar recipe; original recipe here


2 cups oats
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (we like cashews best, but pecans or almonds would work well)
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
2/3 cup honey
3 tbs butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup dates
butter or coconut oil for greasing pan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place oats, coconut, and nuts on a large pan and toast in the oven for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop fruit. Grease large cookie sheet or pizza pan. Put honey, vanilla, salt, and butter in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix fruit, flaxseed, and oat mixture together. Add honey mixture and stir well.

Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. When cool crumble into bite-sized pieces and store in an air-tight container.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 10:26 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: