My friend Hillary and I swap out babysitting duty on days we're responsible for parent volunteering at preschool. Yesterday I dropped off Balin and picked up Hillary's daughter, Ayla, and took Arthur and Ayla to school.

When we returned, we all went inside to hang out for a half hour before we had to pick up Robinson. When I walked through the door, I noticed Hillary was watching a movie, which the older kids immediately gravitated to.

"Oh, look, that woman's having a baby!" Hillary exclaimed before snapping shut the laptop.

As we were driving toward Robinson's office Arthur asked, "How do babies hatch out of women?"

I asked him to repeat the question to make sure I heard him correctly.

Ohhhhhh, crap.

"Well, there's a special place inside of mommies where the baby lives until it's ready to come out. It's called a womb."

"But how does the baby come out?"

"You know how you have a hole for pooping and a hole for peeing?"

"Yeah."

"Well, women have three holes: one for peeing, one for pooping, and one for having babies."

"Oh."

There is no doubt in my mind that this will somehow come up in a future conversation, leaving myself and/or Robinson a little flustered and/or embarrassed.

Blessed be.



This entry was posted on 6:59 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: