I love to write.

I've always had a big imagination. I made up stories as a kid. Stories about aliens, Bigfoot, spaceships. I'd jot these ideas down, crafting plot twists and developing characters. Sometimes I find these stories when I clean out old papers or files and I take a moment to savor them.

Some of my faithful readers have commented that they love my writing. I thank you for that. Deeply, in fact. I've been told on numerous occasions that I am a horrific writer, that I cannot string together coherent thoughts. Those comments came from my Master's advisor. They were heart-breaking. It's difficult to love something but be told that you utterly suck at it.

Fast-forward several years. I am no longer in a Master's program. I no longer have to deal with people who criticize me instead of support me. I want to become a better writer.

I have never posted fiction here and the only time I ever allow anyone to read my fiction is when I create backstories for my RPG characters (so if you did not realize the extent of my nerdiness, you do now).

I found some time tonight to write part of a piece I'm working on. Most of it is in my head, but I am hoping that I will be able to find more time to work on it. Maybe someday it will turn into something other than just a file in the cloud. Until then, here's the first installment.

I hope you like it, dear readers.

Blessed be.

* * *

Prologue

It was said that when war could not be waged, it would only be postponed.

For a century, this proved to be true.

In these hundred years civilians lived and died in honest living, unsuspecting the web of lies and deceit misguided politicians and military leaders whispered to another: The Nilian wanted freedom. The Tryska did not.

War, however, is not so black and white. An enemy to the Nilian is a hero to the Tryska, and it is the same for the Tryska and Nilian.

It was said that long, long ago Tryskan colonists inhabited the Daborr System, extending as far as they could possibly reach. Any planet that could sustain life did. These colonists built great cities and harvested resources while the Tryskan aristocracy unbuttoned their belts and devoured the wealth of the planets. At first, the people relinquished, indebted to the Tryska for their survival even though it was a single step higher than slavery.

Then came furious whispers of equality, freedom, and wealth for all. The Tryskan aristocracy attempted to soothe this burn, but it was too late. The Nilian movement, born from heated words and broken committments, proved an unfortunate development. It enveloped the poor, political, lovers of liberty, and bohemians alike; all who wished for nothing more than the means to live in the way they deemed fit.

Some colonies did not embrace the movement, but also they refused the Tryskan. These colonies remained neutral until one by one they fell with negotiated promises of health care, education, and expanded trade. Some supported the Nilian movement; others the old Tryskan aristocracy. In the end, only three planetary colonies remained fully neutral: Ploss, Kluane, and Vori. To this day, it is still so.

~ Exerpt from Daborr System: A History by historian and politician Jorroll F. Shren


This entry was posted on 2:53 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: