To err is human, I'm told. I must be half-way to enlightened because I feel like I've made a lot of mistakes this week.

I have a horrible habit of replaying my mistakes in my head. I ask myself why I said something so inappropriate or why I did something so rude. I second guess certain brash decisions and anticipate mistakes to come. I am much less hard on myself than I used to be (perhaps I am becoming a person better able to let go; perhaps I realize I have two young boys who look up to me) and more willing to admit that I've made a mistake and even more willing to let it go.

The father of one of Arthur's classmates was shot and killed Thursday morning. I don't know the exact circumstances, but for whatever the reason, this boy's father had made a mistake and paid dearly for it. 

Do we not understand the consequences of our actions anymore? Are we not willing to admit that we've made a mistake and do what we can to rectify it? Have we become so narrow in our focus that we choose not to make allowances or to forgive? 

By nature, I believe man is kind. I believe man strives to be noble, generous, and worthy of love. It is when we define ourselves by our mistakes that we become negative and inwardly cruel. I have spent many years as a teenager defining myself by my mistakes. Now I actively work to fix them. 

I don't really know what I'm trying to say here. I suppose what it comes down to is that a little boy out there doesn't have a father anymore. 

That, my friends, is a mistake.




This entry was posted on 1:13 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: