My Aunt Gloria has always been one classy lady.

When I was a kid, I admired her spick-and-span house. Everything was tidy, nothing ever out of place. She was always well-dressed and a careful speaker. (I had never heard her swear until this trip!)

In contrast, my parent's residence was always a disaster. Throw into the mix that my dad doesn't dress up for any occasion that he doesn't have to and is a little rough around the edges...well, you can see why Gloria fascinated me. (Not to mention that we share the same birthday...but that's another story.)

Whenever Gloria is around, there's work to be done, but there's also almost-hair-catching-on-fire and hat-wearing silliness.

As an adult, I still love Gloria very much. It's rumored that she'll be returning to the farmhouse sometime this fall. It's going to be interesting having family so close - we've never lived anywhere where family was less than a 6 hour drive or flight.


Arthur - for reasons unknown to us - continuously called Gloria "Joyce" while she was here. "Joyce" became the "evil Gloria": Joyce wanted to steal the boys' toys or ice cream, Joyce wanted to drink their milk, Joyce wanted to give them chores. Whenever something bad happened, Joyce was behind it.

Her visit was much too short, however. We already miss her (though I think Dad was happy to see her go: she gave him a list of chores before she left, as is customary. It is also customary for him to ignore any such list for an indeterminate amount of time.)

Who visited you this summer? What adventures did you have with them?

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 10:49 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: