It's been a long time since I went to a Renaissance Faire. (High school, in fact - and sadly, that one was disappointing.)

This Faire, however, was pretty amazing, boasting that it was one of the largest and best in the country. We attended was Steampunk weekend, so I dusted off my old Halloween costume, added gears to my boots, and reinvented my hat and goggles.

The boys, possibly driven by my enthusiasm, also wanted to dress up. I balk at paying ridiculous prices for things I can make myself, even if I am crunched for time. I figured knight tunics made from old pillowcases would be simple enough to make and (if the boys liked them enough) reusable for Halloween.

They accessorized with belts and PVP swords and...their costumes turned out surprisingly well!

The Bristol Faire is open during the summers only because there is no electricity - which means no path lights. Even the rides are human powered. The boys were pushed on a pirate ship by two surly pirates. They rode ponies. Arthur was even tall enough to jump up and down on a gigantic trampoline.

Once the boys discovered the kid's area (complete with wooden pirate ship), they refused to leave. Nothing in the whole place could compete.

Until the sandbox.

If there's one thing these boys love more than a playground, it's something to dig in.

They had such a good time at the Faire that the next day they built their own Renaissance Faire out of Legos, with a little help from me. It took us the whole day to get it just right. We even included rides (human powered!), games, bridge with ducks, an ice cream cart, a pretzel guy, and an R2-D2.

You know something makes an impression on them when they replicate it in Lego form.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 12:41 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: