The athletic shoes I had since my move to Beloit had begun to fall apart. It was time for a new pair (shoe shopping - yay!).

My readers know my criteria for a shoe purchase - namely that they must be made in the USA - so instead of going to Payless or Famous Footwear, I went to a little shoe store located in downtown Beloit (shop local, people!).

I had always assumed that I wore a 7.5 shoe. I mean, my feet did swell when I was pregnant, so there might have been a time I almost wore an 8, but my shoe size has been fairly consistent since high school. Though, to be honest, I might have worn a 7 back then. I don't remember.

In any case, Balin and I went to this shoe store so that I could order a new pair of gym shoes. When the salesman asked me what size I wore, I said "Seven-and-a-half," without hesitation. As I tried on the shoes, I realized that a 7.5 would not fit. They were far too big.

Maybe this brand runs large, I thought, and asked the salesman that very question.

"No, they generally run true to size," he said.

Well, crap.

So I ordered a size 7 athletic shoe.

Of course there was second-guessing. I mean, when you believe your shoe size to be this specific, exact measurement, it is surprising when you discover that it is not.

Then I realized for the very first time that my Oka-b flats did not fit quite as well as they did when I first bought them. So I measured my feet. Size 7.

Did my feet really shrink? I wondered. Why would my feet shrink?  

Google claims that feet shrink for many reasons, among them osteoporosis and weight loss.

While I have not lost an incredible amount of weight recently, I am fairly active with incredibly toned legs...and feet? Could my decreased shoe size be attributed to that?

Regardless of what had happened to my feet, the athletic shoes fit perfectly, I have ordered two new flats in the proper size, and am currently trying to find new homes for my size 8 flats. They are still in excellent condition (with a warranty), I just can't wear them.

On the bright side, I will have to go shoe shopping.

(Yes, honey. Have to.)

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 9:51 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: