Perhaps it was because at one time I didn't have much disposable income or maybe it's because my sense of style has evolved over the years, but I have become addicted to shoes.

Yes, you heard me.

At one time I laughed at my younger sister for owning more than three pairs of shoes. All of her shoes are lovingly kept in small, stackable plastic shoe boxes - probably well organized within her closet. (Though I am not actually sure where she keeps them; I don't often get the opportunity to dig through her closet. But I have before. It was fun.) I now own about ten pairs of shoes and two pairs of boots - and have ordered three more pairs last night. Robinson watched me push the "Order Now" button as he teased me, the whole event being quite amusing to a person who owns only three pairs of shoes.

I'm not sure exactly when this fixation began. When my mother said, "Let's go shopping," she almost always meant "shopping for clothes." She was much more likely to treat me to a new top or a pair of pants, which meant we almost never went to the shoe section at Penny's or Sears.

In the last few years, I have tried to become more aware of what I buy and where I buy it from. I have stopped purchasing my clothing from department stores, opting instead to shop exclusively at thrift stores for tops, pants, and skirts. It's a crap shoot: I don't always find what I want, but I can usually get items for much cheaper than if I buy them at a department store. (Plus, I feel better about supporting local shops than I do big box stores. Yes, my snobbery has become quite obvious.)

Needless to say, buying shoes from the stores I usually frequented was now out. Wouldn't it be somewhat hypocritical of me to stop purchasing clothing from department stores, but continue to buy my shoes there?

And thus I began my American-made shoe journey and shoe obsession.

My shoes are often twice - sometimes three times - what I would normally pay at a department store, but I notice that the quality is better and as a result, I don't have to buy shoes as often. I can still find cute shoes in an array of colors and styles, but they all have good arch support and wear well. Some of my shoes can also be recycled if you return them to the company, which I also love.  

I've mentioned my purchasing practice to one of my co-workers who told me that, while noble, I wouldn't be making a difference in the grand scheme of things. And he's right. Just because I am mindful of my purchases doesn't mean that the rest of the country is. But it makes me feel good, and I'm okay with that.

Want to see my newest purchase? It was love at first sight. Literally.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 1:44 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: