I taught my last Intermediate English class of the semester tonight. 

We finished reading The Island of the Blue Dolphins and discussed what we liked and didn't like about the book. We talked about how sad some of the events of the story were - Ramo and Rontu's deaths in particular had moved them - and how well written the chapters were. One student commented that his favorite chapter was the one with the devilfish. 

It was difficult to keep everyone on task; they were promised a party. Finally, I handed everyone their certificates and the celebratory bags of popcorn and told everyone how much I would miss them over the summer. They responded in kind, adding that I was the best teacher that they had ever had, even better than some of the instructors they had at Blackhawk. I did not expect such kind words. 

Looking back, I believe it. We laughed together. We shared stories and jokes. I spoke to them candidly and (I hope) without judgement. There were many, many opportunities for learning - not just  on their part, but I learned a lot as well. After everything, I am surprised by how much I will miss teaching this class. 

I will be teaching two other courses this summer - a Conversational English class and a Beginning English class - but a part of me will miss my students, their familiar smiles, and the banter we shared.  

Blessed be.




This entry was posted on 6:54 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: