Today was the first day of summer school. Initially, I had enrolled Arthur since he's in the Dual Immersion Program and I didn't want him to forget all of the Spanish he had learned during the school year. I decided to enroll Balin as well; if nothing else to get him used to the motions of school.

Balin and I were directed to the outside hallway; Robinson and Arthur waited for instructions with the rest of the second graders. The corridor was packed with children and their parents, all asking the three teachers the same question: "Is my child in your class?" 

One parent wearing a maxi skirt and black tank top stood across from me, hugging her curly-haired boy snugly to her chest. She spoke to her husband with humor, but I saw the tears in her eyes. There were no other children with her, so I could understand her pain. I felt it, too.

At this moment, Arthur paraded down the hall with his class, head high and excitement in his eyes. He was okay.

I glanced down at Balin. His eyes, while unsure, were also thoughtful, absorbing the chaos around him. 

These boys - my boys - are made of sterner stuff; Arthur with his experience and Balin with his confidence. There's nothing they can't do.

And me? I'll be alone for a while, away from the madness. It will be different, a little scary, but a welcome change of pace.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 7:11 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: