For the last day, my attempts at breastfeeding have been a challenge. Balin has a very shallow latch for my nipples, although he'll open wide for his fist. A new definition of "nipple confusion" for sure.

I had some difficulties nursing Arthur, too. It was quite a humbling experience asking for help, but I didn't want to give up (even though the pain made me think twice a few times). So I called Joanne Spears at Public Health. After her visit, Arthur and I made a great nursing team. It became very simple, almost second nature.

I called Joanne this morning and she was able to come by today. For about 45 minutes, we troubleshooted some of the issues I was having nursing Balin and found a good position for the both of us. Now, there's no doubt in my mind that we'll be an awesome nursing team, too.

It's nice that we're on our way to becoming a team because this kid's got quite the appetite. According to the midwife, he only lost 3 oz in his first day (most kids his weight lose 8-12 oz their first day). He's already about pound bigger than his friend Slate, who is two months older than he is. I can't help wondering if he's going to be a bit shorter and stockier than Arthur, who has his father's build. Eventually these two may be wearing the same size clothes even though Balin is several years younger.

Oh, my.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 5:54 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: