Sometime last week, I found a small frog in the yard. I showed it to Arthur. He looked at it pretty intently but decided he didn't want to touch it.

Just today, I found another frog under our rhubarb. It was as small as the other one, and may have been the same one. I brought it back to Arthur. He didn't seem all that impressed. I asked him if he wanted to put it in his new bug house that we had built that morning and he said that he did.

It took some quick maneuvering trying to get the frog into the bug house, but in the end, I managed to get him in. Once the frog was in the bug house, Arthur became a bit braver. He held the house and even carried it back to the rhubarb when he was ready to let it go.

He opened the door. The frog hopped furiously to the opening. He leaped through the door and bounced off toward a large rock. Arthur watched him go, laughing with wonder.

Later, I looked up the type of frog: it's called a wood frog. It's only one of two species of frog that lives in Alaska. I certainly didn't know that we even had frogs in Alaska up until a few years ago when Robinson nearly ran one over with the lawn mower. Ever since then, we see them every now and then. They must love our place because we have a big pond in the front yard and everything is always so wet.

It makes me happy to know that Arthur loves being outside and that he loves nature. He gets so excited interacting with the outdoors. I can't wait until he's old enough to really enjoy nature. I hope your family takes advantage of the rest of the summer.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 10:35 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: