Fairbanks summers are so beautiful. Eighty degree temperatures, 22 hour days, and sun almost makes up for our chilly winters. Even though my family lives in Anchorage (just a 6 hour drive) it seems a shame to leave Fairbanks to visit a more temperate (albeit more civilized) location.

The kids and I flew down to Anchorage for my dad's birthday and stayed for a week. We got to see friends and family. We took portraits and played at parks. Arthur bossed his cousin Molly around and she didn't seem to mind a bit. Nana held Balin and I nearly finished all the blocks for a wedding quilt I've been working on (now to sew them together - I almost have two of the four quilts I wanted to complete this year finished!). My dad even convinced me to take on a portion of his stamp business. My friend Naomi gave me a fabulous new haircut and her in-laws lent us a few Terry Pratchett books.

Balin even learned a few new tricks, his favorite being finding his feet. This kid now spends almost every waking moment clutching something: his hands, feet, someone else's hands, or a toy. It's amazing how smitten people get with a baby around. He smiles and everyone coos. My father is absolutely convinced he's my grandmother reborn.

It was wonderful to be able to spend so much time with everyone. Next year we'll stay a while longer. Even though next summer is proving to be busier than I anticipate, I'd like to take the kids to Anchorage for a couple weeks, at least. Arthur continuously asks when we're going back to Anchorage. He loved all the attention from Nana and his aunties and loved playing with his cousins. It was nice being able to fly one way because the drive back was brutal with a 3 month old. Unlike his brother who would have loved having a pacifier fused to his mouth, Balin hates it and will spit it out as soon as it goes in. We did learn, however, that Balin will fall asleep in the car when he's dead tired from crying IF AND ONLY IF he is sung to. I wonder if someday he will be very musical like his Oldma and Daddy.

Guess what was awaited us when we got home? They were quickly peeled and devoured.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 9:49 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: