Oldpa came to visit us for a week. Arthur, who is always looking for more attention these days, loved having him here. We visited the museum and Chena Hot Springs, but we also hiked to Angel Rock which is something that Robinson and I, in our many years of Fairbanks living, haven't done.

The day was cool and we were bombarded by mosquitoes, but as we progressed up the trail, the winds picked up and they weren't such a bother. At the middle of the trail, we found a special surprise - blueberries - and stopped to pick some. We had been hearing rumors of ripe blueberries; apparently they were true. We picked a handful and gave them to Arthur. He gladly accepted.

The best part of the hike was the view of the valley from the rocks. Even with the overcast skies, it was a breathtaking sight. Oldpa and Robinson explored the area by climbing all over the rocks (an activity I have little doubt Balin and Arthur will be doing someday while I suffer through heart palpatations). Arthur ate applesauce and played in the sand. He wished that he had brought one of his trucks with him.

On the way up, I noticed a pentagram carved into a tree. I love finding these shapes in nature, but it's interesting to see where people leave their own marks. This graffiti may not have been intended to be spiritual, but I wondered if there were others like me who passed it on the way up and thought, "What a lovely affirmation of my faith." I breathed a little deeper and smiled to myself.

The rest of the week passed quickly. We made triple ginger ice cream and grilled pork ribs. Arthur and Oldpa played with trains. Oldpa played his harmonica for the kids and when he stopped Arthur asked, "Oldpa, will you turn your harmonica back on?"

It's been so lovely to have so many people visit us this summer. My family is planning on coming back a couple more times before fall. I hope my dad makes it while there's kohlrabi to be had!

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 9:36 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: