I love Wiccan holidays, but I haven't always celebrated them like I feel I should. Now that I have Arthur, I feel the need to be a little more religious. Just a bit. Thank the Goddess it's surprisingly easy to celebrate Yule and Midsummer here in Fairbanks because it's a community affair. I don't think there are many (if any) other Alaskan communities that celebrate these holidays like Fairbanks. Which, I think, is an awesome way to get Arthur excited about being part of this community as well as Wicca.

I myself have been getting things ready for the Solstice. I don't usually go all out - no big ritual or song and dance - just a special dinner and a prayer. Of course, since Father's Day is on the Solstice this year, we'll make some special plans for Robinson, too.

It's been so hot this year that my rhubarb is growing amazingly well - so well that I've already made lots and lots of rhubarb crumble using a new recipe. I often search for recipes online, try them out, and then modify them to my own tastes. The recipe I found had too much sugar in it (I try and limit my sugar consumption), so I cut it back, but I also added more butter to the oatmeal topping to make it more cake-like. The original recipe had so little butter in it that the topping looked more like cornmeal. Yuck!

The changes, however, were pretty amazing. The topping turned out beautiful with a rich consistency. The rhubarb was a bit tart (but still good, even Baby Boy liked it), so if you prefer your rhubarb desserts super-sweet, you might want to up the amount of sugar from 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup.

Here's my new recipe. I'm planning on making it for dessert on Sunday, topped with a little ice cream. With it's rosy-red color, it should be a perfect way to end a meal.

Midsummer Rhubarb Crisp
Serves 8-ish

Filling:
3 cups rhubarb, chopped
2 tbs. orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbs. butter, melted

Topping:
1/2 cup minus 1 tbs. butter (use the 1 tbs. for the Filling, above), melted
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup oatmeal
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda

1. Mix filling ingredients together, stir well. Sugar should coat the rhubarb evenly. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish.

2. Mix topping ingredients. Mixture will be thick. Take topping in your fingers and crumble evenly over the top of the rhubarb mixture in baking dish.

3. Bake for about 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees, or until topping is golden-brown. Serve warm.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 1:26 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: