For nearly a week, we saw nary a tail feather of the Black-Capped Chickadees that come to our bird feeders. Maybe it was too cold or perhaps we just weren't looking out the window while they were eating (which is much more likely), but for whatever reason, they weren't around.

This morning, Arthur and I had quite the show. Our usual five chickadees were there and they brought some hungry, hungry friends! I counted about ten chickadees total. Arthur watched for a few minutes, then wanted down. I however, continued to watch them at the window. Chickadees are my favorite birds because they are so playful - even when they eat, they look as if they are food fighting.

I also discovered that the chickadees found Arthur's bird feeders we made at Creamer's - which probably explains why our little band of regulars brought their friends.

As I sat on the sofa watching the chickadees flit from branch to branch on the top of a tree, a sudden movement caught my eye: a raptor soared down from a neighboring tree and whizzed past the living room window. I didn't get a great look at it, but after doing some preliminary research, I'm fairly certain that I saw a juvenile Harlan's Hawk. It's still amazing to me how much wildlife I can see from my window.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 12:23 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: