Yule celebrates the rebirth of the sun. It is a time for reflecting on the year ahead and making what the rest of the world would call "New Year's Resolutions." It is a reminder that though there is still months of darkness, the light is returning, ever steadily.

I love the Winter Solstice. I love the smell of the sap as I carve the Yule log, I love the smoky smell of the bonfire, and most of all I love the magic in the air. It's a wonderful time to be with family. I also remember that the blessings of spring are just around the corner - even though it doesn't always seem like spring comes fast enough!

Dinner is always a special affair. I made chicken with apple-cranberry chutney, tabouli, garlic yams, and coriander rolls. For dessert there was apple pie with whipped cream. Robinson commented that the tabouli was more of a spring salad (to which I agreed), but I wanted to make something that would remind us of the upcoming spring. The apple pie was absolutely fantastic and I'm thinking about making another one very, very soon. True to form, Arthur asked for seconds...of the whipped cream.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, we also make our "Yule Resolutions" and carve them on a Yule log (better known as the bottom of our Christmas tree). As is tradition, Robinson and I ask for 2 things each. Arthur, being the newest member of the family and finally old enough to contribute a resolution, got to ask for 1 thing this year. I asked to be more environmentally aware and to make more time for being intimate with Robinson. Robinson asked to get in shape and to learn new things. Arthur asked to learn how to use the potty. I have successfully switched many of my household products to all-natural solutions and I intend to start recycling my boxes and paper products at the Rescue Mission's recycling program.

Even the weather warmed up considerably and we were able to burn the Yule log outside without getting too cold. Arthur wanted to help Robinson stoke the fire, but his boots were ill-fitting and he kept falling down. I think he'll enjoy the bonfires more when he can wander around the firepit without falling over all the time.

I hope you and your family enjoyed this blessed day.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 9:39 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: