A few days ago, I texted Dad a silly question, not really expecting an answer. After all, Dad had never been a small talk kind of person. He speaks plainly, but he doesn't speak about trivial matters. I thought it might be fun to get bits of his personal history and background.

So I asked: What were your favorite games growing up? 

A couple hours later, Dad texted back: Monopoly, chess. Sheepshead. 

The next day, I asked: What were your favorite toys when you were a kid and why?

Teddy bears. I don't know why. I'm thinking of one more. Lincoln logs. I liked building things. 

And today, there was this gem; simple, but traditional: What's your favorite color?

Blue.

Tomorrow there will be another text. I don't what it will say exactly - just another question and another answer which will provide another glimmer into my dad's life. These questions aren't much, but I hope someday they'll lead to bigger ones. Perhaps - if his treatment progresses - the questions will become that interview I've always wanted to do. But right now, I'll have to settle for these little Questions of the Day. 



This entry was posted on 7:33 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: