My dad has been retired for about 15 years. He woke up one day and decided he was done with the daily grind. He put more effort into his stamp collection and his book business while waiting for my mom to retire. She eventually did, just a few years ago; however, she's still a substitute for the Anchorage School District. The people there love her. She loves her work. She can't stay away. It's like she hasn't actually retired. 

Dad, I feel, was hoping Mom would want to leave after she stopped working. He's been done in Alaska for years and has been ready for (literal) greener pastures. I don't think he'd be adverse to returning to enjoy Alaskan summers (which are beautiful), but he no longer wanted to experience the long, dark winters. 

He's waited patiently, but now it's become evident that Mom does not want to leave. She's been in Alaska for over 40 years now. Leaving would be scary. Contrary to Dad, Mom has never liked change. I remember her crying when we left Barrow. I remember her frantic "Are you okay???" when I traveled to Israel. I remember her reluctance to retire. I know she harbors deep fears about starting over.

What she chooses not to focus on are all of the good things about retirement. She could be closer to her sisters. She could go on weekend road trips. She could be a snowbird and go visit her grandchildren in the summers while enjoying some mild Lower 48 winters. This week is supposed to be in the 50's. I don't miss the typical Alaskan 30's at this time of year. 

Robinson's working away now so that he can retire at 55. Words can't express how grateful I am for his careful planning. The kids will be grown. We'll be able to travel. We'd downsize to a much smaller place in a city we love. We could visit our families. It's a nice vision of the future. 

Don't we all want those lovely dreams when we're old? I curse my mom a little bit for forcing my dad into a situation he so desperately wants out of. 



This entry was posted on 9:13 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: