Today was one of the nicer days we've had in a while, though the clouds were still pretty thick and it could rain at anytime. Our yard (if you could call it that) is pretty swampy from the last rain. Because our "dirt" is composed primarily of clay, the water doesn't absorb into the ground very well. I won't even mention the fact that we have more weeds than grass in our yard. I would love to eventually get real grass!

After Baby Boy's morning nap, we went outside to play. It was a lovely 50 degrees, a little breezy, but pleasant. We took a walk around the yard to make sure everything was draining properly. We also checked out the rhubarb and the garden boxes. I helped him "walk" on the driveway. He's not quite ready to walk by himself yet, but he's able to "walk" the length of the couch, bed, chair, or crib.

It makes me so happy that my son gets so excited about seeing water, birds, or rabbits in our yard. He loves being outside and watching the cars drive by or picking up rocks. As I watch him, I can't wait until we can go camping and teach him which plants are edible, how to watch animals from a safe distance, and go fishing. I remember how inspired I was just being outdoors and I hope that Baby Boy someday feels the same way. When I was a child, I think my sisters and I spent more time outside than inside!

My experience today reminded me of a quote by Rachel Carson:

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature -- the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter."

I am inclined to agree, and, in fact, many authors and researchers claim that having nature experiences are a crucial part of a child's development. Not just physical development, but emotional and cognitive as well! I am quite interested in this topic, and will hopefully conduct more research and disseminate it in future blogs. (Even though I am no longer a Master's student, I still feel the need to research something.)

As the day grows ever longer
Bringing clouds dark and somber
Amid the gap the sun doth shine
Tho' light, it seems, was left behind.


Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 2:54 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: