I think it's safe to assume that summer has finally reached Fairbanks. Lately, though, it's been windy, gray, and cloudy lately, but it should be warming up by Monday. But, I'm not writing this post with this weather in mind; instead, I write this post contemplating the promises of summer renewal.

Spring and summer are important seasons for me. When I was a child, my sisters and I often left Barrow and moved to our grandparents', aunts', and uncles' houses in Kansas and Wisconsin. We usually stayed for the entire summer. What an incredible chance of renewal! To vacate the dark, flat tundra of Alaska's north and see the sunflower fields of Kansas, to climb large oak trees, to play in the corn outside my paternal grandparents' house, and to spend time with family. I remember growing up a lot under the instruction of my extended family.

Renewal...growth and opportunity. I still see that now, to some extent, with my new family: myself, my husband, and my son. This spring, I got rid of a lot of old junk that's been collecting around the house. I also started the garden. I should probably go through Arthur's toys again and weed out the ones he doesn't play with.

And, today, I cut my son's hair. He's been a hippie for quite some time now (as evident in the picture to the right), and because it's impossible for him to sit still for more than a second or two, I had to enlist my husband's help. Arthur sat on Robinson's lap while I tried to cut his hair.

Talk about an opportunity for growth and renewal! Even with his dad entertaining him and his pacifier to keep him calm, he was still such a wiggle worm. I didn't want to cut off huge chunks of hair (not to mention an ear), so proposed stopping and just cutting off the rest later. I didn't feel I could be patient enough to make a good cut. Robinson insisted that I keep going.


So, I kept going, and eventually, Arthur's hair was cut and turned out pretty nice. At least, I was pretty impressed by it. I can tell I've missed a couple of spots, but overall, it looks pretty good. Without that little push, I don't think I would have wanted to finish Arthur's hair and my poor Baby Boy would be crawling around with one side of his hair cut and the other side long and scraggly.

Summer is indeed a time to step out a bit from our comfort zone and challenge ourselves. So, here's my June challenge to everyone: do something you've never done before. If a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity comes your way, take it! Use that experience to shape who you are and what you want out of life.

Blessed be.


This entry was posted on 10:50 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: