It's a well-worn joke in my family that whatever meal Dad's eating at that moment, he's actually planning the next one. His life revolves around food. He's always had a healthy appetite and unhealthy eating habits, ones that have been inherited by the rest of us. Even myself, arguably the daughter most conscientious about what she puts into her body, struggles with her relationship with food. 

Dad calls me every day with a new shopping list. "Pick up milk," he says on Monday. Tuesday, I'm picking up the celery, carrots, and parsley he needs to make a vegetable broth. By Wednesday, Mom's run out of bananas and needs a couple from the store. Thursday? Sour cream. Friday? Extra-strength Tylenol. Oh, and don't forget the tomatoes. Just two is fine. Saturday? Is there a Costco run in your future? 

I've blown through the $100 he gave me for store purchases in two days.

My sister and her husband get back on Saturday night. I'll be staying with Mom and Dad while they are in quarantine. Dad's not a complete invalid, but his health is fragile. It only makes sense. 

I've decided to shop their pantry as much as possible. They've got a lot of food collecting dust, the cans and boxes waiting in meal limbo. They possess a frightening amount of food in various stages of decay in their refrigerator which will not be touched. (Not by me, anyway.) I've strongly considered storing my food in the mini fridge downstairs just to keep it away from the science experiments stored in the kitchen.  

I've mentally chosen easy items to build my meals on. A can of chickpeas, leftover celery, and a box of crackers? Hello, tuna-ish. Canned tomatoes and a box of pasta? Vegan bolognese. They've got pre-packaged Indian food. Add some rice or naan bread and it would make a perfect lunch. 

I fear Dad is living vicariously through me with these many store runs. He misses food, I know. Not eating has been frustrating for him. The added stress of taking care of him has caused me to revert back to some of my own poor eating habits. Perhaps this move to Mom and Dad's will give all of us the little push we need to re-examine food. 



This entry was posted on 11:46 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: