As you, dear reader, well know, my parents are hoarders. My dad has a large collection of stamps and books, both which he sells online, and my mom has a vast collection of stuff. You name it, it's probably under a pile somewhere and Mom knows exactly where she can find it. 

Today, Dad and I both mentioned to Mom it was time to start getting rid of the kid stuff. After all, Balin - the youngest grandchild - was turning 10 this year and would be too old for that (dusty) 24 piece Sesame Street puzzle or the board books. It was well past time to clean up. 

Mom, of course, was reluctant. "Ella still plays with some of these!" she exclaimed. Dad and I both knew it had less to do with the kids actually using the toys and more to do with the emotional value she places on all of these items. She realized I was serious when I enlisted Josh's help.

"But he and the girls play games with those controllers!"

Yes, they probably do. But that's for them to decide. 

Naomi recently referenced Mom's hoarding as "a museum of her life". I really enjoy that analogy. Within your house, your car, your phone, your cabinets and counter tops, and computer, you have things, stuff, items on display. All are a tribute to you. They are pieces of your life. What artifacts do you choose to show off? What is most meaningful? What can you not live without? What best represents you?

Already on this trip, I have been given old schoolwork which my mom expects me to treasure for all of time and eternity. It's special because it was made by my hands; therefore, I must have some kind of attachment to it, right? 

What my mom does not understand - and has never understood - is that, much like an actual museum, I'm choosing to keep my favorite pieces on display. Those I am most proud of is what I will admire the most. 

A torn red fish shape made from construction paper and drawn with a child's hand? Gone. A practice painting from high school? Gone. "The Water Color Book" illustrating different watercolor techniques, an original from a school art class? Keep. I remember working so hard on that artifact. It is a piece I would be happy to place on a pedestal and share with the world. 



This entry was posted on 11:43 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: