My longest female friend, Naomi, came over yesterday. She walked through the door, we hugged, and I found myself suddenly sobbing into her shoulder. The week had been so stressful, so frighteningly real, it was good to be in the embrace of someone who's known me for as long as she has. 

We caught up on recent events, how COVID had affected us. Together, we processed the events concerning my dad. She told me a few stories about her parents-in-law and her budding interest in politics. Naomi described how shitty her 41st had been. Mine certainly hadn't been as disappointing as hers, but not much better as far as birthdays go. 

Saturday, we decided, would be our unbirthday, spent in the company of people we really and truly enjoyed, doing activities we really and truly enjoyed. Since my family would be getting together for a craft night, it seemed the perfect way to spend the day. 

We met my sister and the nieces at Jo-Ann's so I could help Becky pick out mask supplies for her girls; one would be starting school on Monday. We found backing fabric for two quilts at a local fabric store. (I even splurged on some manatee fabric because, hey, it's my unbirthday! Don't fret - I do have a plan in mind for this adorable yardage.) Naomi started knitting a hat while my nieces and I made groundhog cookies for the party. Becky and I sewed two rows of my Roman Roads scrap quilt. (I wished she and I lived closer. She's a chain-stitching machine!) 

Robinson sent me cocktail recipes (though I admit I dread having to make my own drinks - I have been spoiled by my wonderful husband!). I picked up Josh. The rest of the family came over. We had soup and talked and crafted. Mom brought out some old picture albums she wanted to sort. Dad watched "Barry" on Netflix. Becky started her masks. Josh and I recovered an old cork board with a striking black fabric for his pin collection. The girls colored pages in their coloring books. I hopped from project to project, as is my custom.  

Gifts were opened, cookies were eaten. Naomi, a huge smile on her face, commented she hadn't been around normal in a long time. I laughed on the inside because I've never thought of my family as normal, though with all of our problems, we generally do a good job taking care of each other. (Robinson would take Naomi's side here. He often cites examples from his "abnormal" family to compare and contrast with my "normal" one.) 

It was a great day. 



This entry was posted on 6:15 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: