If there's one thing Mom knows how to do - and do well - it's small talk. 

Put her in a room with just about anyone and she'll find a way to keep the conversation going. It doesn't matter if you've just met her or if you've known her for years, she's got the gift of gab. 

I'm staying with Mom and Dad while Blythe and Dustun are quarantining. The both of them have been so gracious to house me, but because I've been the one taking Dad to and from appointments, I'm trying to be conscientious. They are returning from a state with no mask mandate. While I know they've been staying safe, there's no telling about the people around them. (Maybe I'm being too safe - I don't know.) Also, I know how I feel after vacationing, and having one more person around the house will probably be a bit stressful, although they won't admit it. 

Anyway. Mom and I sat down at the kitchen table to fill out some medical paperwork and go through some old technology for electronics recycling. When we were through, we had a nice chat about...whatever. Her work. Her dental hygiene routine. Becky's visit tomorrow. Her preference for chili over pizza. Sewing a been mask for Blythe. Lower 48 weather. Hawaii. Possibilities for a spring break road trip. Dad's upcoming chemo session. There was no pause in the conversation, no comfortable breaks. Whatever silence was quickly filled by a new topic. 

As the evening went on, I chastised myself for not retreating at 9:30. Fifteen minutes later, I finally managed to meander downstairs. Mom followed close behind. We examined an old printer (saved from the recycle bin) and found a box of books bound for Title Wave. I sat on my bed, digging out my floss, toothbrush, toothpaste. Still, she hovered in the doorway. 

At long last, she gathered up her pajamas and said her good nights. At the echo of her footsteps on the stairs, I breathed a little easier. I survived the flurry of stories. 

Mom and I don't agree on a great many things. I often have difficulty trusting her word or believing her sincerity, but I would choose her over just about anyone else to accompany me to a big fancy party where I know few people. In a heartbeat. 



This entry was posted on 11:43 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: