Today I mailed off my parents' 2018 taxes. They were three years behind. The IRS called Dad a few weeks ago. No more excuses, no more extensions. These taxes had to be done by early February. He and Mom have been trying to catch up. 

Dad's never been motivated to act when he's not interested in something. He'd much rather spend his time watching his new favorite show (The Closer), working on stamp books, or browsing the shelves at Salvation Army and Bishop's Attic. Mom's passive aggressive and will only act when the situation is so dire that not taking action proves fatal. (Case in point: the hole in the roof of the garage. Disaster with a capital "D".)

I can't imagine how frustrating it's been for both of them these past few years, filing extension after extension, and then not seeing results because neither one of them was motivated enough to do anything about it. There's nothing like a quick poke in the butt with a hot IRS iron to get you moving. 

I've been going over there nearly every day and, every day without fail, Dad and I crunch the numbers (in actuality, it's more like printing out enough forms to deforest half of the Tongass and rotating them from the 2018 taxes box to the top of the computer to the 2018 taxes binder to the floor) for two or three hours until Dad decides he's had enough for the day. Before leaving, I try to push him just a bit harder, suggesting we check the binder to see which forms we still need to print or fill out one more form. He won't budge. 

Luckily, Mom's been fairly active in the process because she sees progress. She's pleased the overachieving daughter is able to help get stuff done. I told her she was welcome to bring the 2020 taxes box over one evening. I've been trying to coax her over with wine and a Hallmark movie. I think she's planning to show up once the 2019 taxes are completed, but I should probably throw in the promise of dinner, just to be sure.

Tomorrow, it's my birthday. Unlike last year when my aunt Gloria and I to a road trip to visit Phil and got our picture on the front page in the Punxsutawney paper, I'll be heading over to Mom and Dad's bright and early to help with taxes. Dad has an appointment in the afternoon and then I have to take my nephew to work. I'll have to find the time to squeeze in a 10-minute phone call to my aunt. This is the first birthday in seven years we haven't spent it together. While I'm glad to be spending my birthday taking care of my parents, I'm a little sad I won't be having an adventure with Gloria, as is custom. I was so hoping to check out the ice castles in Lake Geneva this year. Better luck next year. 



This entry was posted on 9:35 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: