We were in the entryway putting on our shoes, Dad and I. We had spent the day finishing up the last of the forms for 2019 taxes. There's only one left, which Dad planned on tackling tonight, after dinner. 

He turned to me and said, "You know, I'm really glad you're here. You've been a life saver helping me get these taxes done." 

Later, Mom joined us for dinner. I made lasagna. Mom brought soup, but he insisted on eating the lasagna and garlic bread. Was he trying to please me? Or was it because he so wanted to be able to enjoy a dish made by his loving daughter? (She would have been fine if he had soup. Honest.)

After dinner, Mom and I got a head start on the 2020 taxes, calculating totals for utilities and book purchases. She told me it took her several nights to accomplish what we did in just one. 

They left for home not too long ago. I wonder - there are five of us in my immediate family: Dad, Mom, my two younger sisters, and me. How is it I'm the only one who is able to get anything done? Is it too daunting to get started? Do they fear failure? Are they not excited about all the other stuff that accompanies a big project? Is it far easier to do nothing at all? 



This entry was posted on 10:40 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: